Improvements for 2013 Racing Season and the Inaugural NHRA New England Nationals continue to move along. Here’s a quick update.
- Light poles along the left side of the track have been completely removed. Earlier this year we installed an additional four Musco lighting structures.
- New barriers have been installed down to eighth mile in the left lane and to the 330’ mark in the right lane.
- Barriers around the water box, the starter’s area, and starting line tree protection have all been replaced with poured in place, color enhanced concrete. They are low enough to promote good viewing of the starting line area, yet are reinforced with rebar pinned into the ground to provide an extra measure of safety and equipment protection. Hats off to HG Construction for the design and build of these great looking barriers.
- Transitional barriers from the new 30” barrier to the new 39” height requirement just before the 1000’ mark are in place.
- New scoreboard mounting structures have been installed farther out from the track. The scoreboards and sponsor signs will be moved in April.
- The motorcycle pit area across from the gas shack has had a new top coat of asphalt.
- A small portion of the staging lanes has also been top coated to make entering the lanes easier for some of the professional teams in June. We are also planning to repave the existing staging lane entrance and road from the upper pit area.
- Some improvements including old barrier placement have been added to trackside motor home parking to enhance the overall look and marking of parking spots.
- The permitting process is moving along in positive direction for paving in the upper pit area. Conditional approval was granted in December. We’re also planning to landscape the area on the far side of the scales for pit parking during the National Event in June.
- Work continues on the top end run off area. Along with installing new gravel taller barriers are being installed. New steel, concrete filled poles are in place for the additional catch nets that will be installed early next year. Two additional light poles will provide enhanced lighting in that area, as well.
- Steel gates are in place at the first and second turnoff areas.
We’ll provide periodic updates as we move forward. Stay tuned.